Two of the 4 cups water can be replaced with 2 cups low-sodium store-bought chicken broth.
- Ready in: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: easy
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen, cut okra
- 8 ounces smoked (precooked) andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1 inch thick
- Grandma's Rotisserie Chicken (2 pounds / about 4 cups)
- Store-bought or homemade cornbread, for serving (optional)
In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium. Add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until pale golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in bell peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add 4 cups water; stir in okra and sausage. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded chicken, and warm through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; if desired, serve with cornbread.